Are you a Product Manager? Then you are THE Customer advocate on your team.
As a PM, You are in the unique position to influence the trajectory of the product with not just user data, but also with user sentiment.
That’s why it’s really important to involve target users from the very beginning.
User interviews are a great opportunity for PMs to discover the root causes which drive user behaviors. But often the questions and tasks can be very surface level and monotonous.
As a result, PMs usually end up with a list of what users liked and disliked, but they don’t have great takeaways on how to create user-driven solutions.
The more you center the interview around the user, the more users will feel comfortable to share their ideas with you.
As as a result, your team will have more user-driven feedback and solutions to iterate on.
Here are 10 steps on how to drive an Engaging user interview from start to finish.
1. Identify the stage of your product life cycle.
2. Complete pre-testing prep:
3. Ask the user to give a brief intro of themselves. 4. Ask them some warm up questions related to:
5. Have the user share their screen and take you through how they use your product. Let them drive the conversation.
6. Observe actions that the user may not voice.
7. As they are use different features, ask them:
8. Give users insights on the most common feature requests or upcoming features. Ask them:
9. Towards the end, Ask them:
Product Opportunity Questions:
Product Reaction Questions:
10. Thank them and ask if they are willing to test new updates in the future.
Bonus Tip 11: Capture all of your feedback on Jeda Ai !
For each tester, open a new board and capture their answers and feedback as the interview progresses. You will have a complete collection of answers sorted by each tester on your dashboard!
We hope you find these steps helpful. Let us know in the comments below on how you drive your user interviews!
December 18, 2022